Whether you as a landlord are showing potential tenants around your property or your letting agent is, it’s very important to find out relevant information before deciding if you want them to move into your property. After all, letting your home is a big commitment and we would advise you take the time to speak with your tenants before signing on the dotted line.
So, what are the most important things you should find out? Here are a few to get you started…
When are the tenants looking to move home?
– You don’t want to end up waiting 3 or 4 months for someone to move into your property when it could be filled quicker – make sure you ask this question first or the viewing could be a waste of time!
Can they provide a reference?
– This is always good to have as you can get a further insight to the tenants from a different perspective. If not a current or past landlord reference, maybe look to a current employer reference.
Do they have any pets?
– You may have a no pet policy or you may be open to having pets in your home with tenants. It may be that they must leave a higher deposit, or you have a limit to the number of pets, either way it is best to ask the question just in-case you get any unwelcome visitors.
Are they renting another property now or have they rented before?
– Start by getting a bit of background about your potential tenants, if they have rented before they should be used to questions like these, if not just explain why it is important you get to know them first and why you need to know.
If they are renting – why are they leaving their current property?
– Are they moving because they want a bigger/smaller please? Closer to family/work perhaps? Or are they moving because they aren’t getting along with their current landlord? If so, it would be best to get in touch with them and find out why.
What is their occupation?
– It is important for you to know this as you need to be sure that they will be able to keep up with rent payments each month, you don’t want to be in the situation where you are losing out.
Here at Fraser Lake, we are committed to finding the right tenants for your property and looking after you throughout the whole process. We want to make sure that owning and renting a property is a hassle-free service and this is our aim first and foremost. To find out more about letting a property with Fraser Lake, get in touch with one of our experienced team members via email or give us a call on 0191 528 4455.